Skip to content

Bug v1.8 Import CSV

Forums Forums Superbase NG Personal Bug v1.8 Import CSV

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JD Kromkowski
    Participant

I am pretty sure there is following bug. Using Simpol Personal, I import a CSV file. This is fine, except that the created datasource and table is not always saved any place (at least so far as I can tell). It is perfectly usable (I am thinking perhaps it is just a volatile), but if you close Personal, it is no longer accessable. For example, if you just type in “testfile” in the Target file name box (i.e. no path just “testfile”), and do the import, the program doesn’t automatically take a directory path (most logically from the source csv file chosen). Nor is there a save datasource check upon exiting. Try it and then check under >Utilities >status either table or system you’ll see a datasource but with no dir path. The current solution is that you MUST put in a “full directory path” under “Target file name”. Or if you realize you forgot to put a full path what you can do is use quick report to print to database.

Michael
    Keymaster

On 24/04/2014 17:48, kromkowski wrote:
    > I am pretty sure there is following bug.
    >
    > Using Simpol Personal, I import a CSV file.
    >
    > This is fine, except that the created datasource and table is not always saved any place (at least so far as I can tell). It
    > is perfectly usable (I am thinking perhaps it is just a volatile), but if you close Personal, it is no longer accessable.

It is not volatile. I suspect that if you don't put a path in, then it will create it in the simpolbin directory.

> For example, if you just type in "testfile" in the Target file name box (i.e. no path just "testfile"), and do the import, the
    > program doesn't automatically take a directory path (most logically from the source csv file chosen).

Good point. It probably should use the directory of the import file. I will check that.

> Nor is there a save datasource check upon exiting.

Not necessary, since it does create it.

> Try it and then check under >Utilities >status either table or system you'll see a datasource but with no dir path.

Hmmm. That should contain the full path as well. I will have a look at that too.

> The current solution is that you MUST put in a "full directory path" under "Target file name".
    >
    > Or if you realize you forgot to put a full path what you can do is use quick report to print to database.

Like I said, I suspect you will find it in the bin directory. The problem is that there are no functions for setting the current
    working directory. That means that the current working directory is always the location of the start directory for the application.

Ciao, Neil

JD Kromkowski
    Participant

Ok, I found how and where the file is being saved.

You browse and find the .csv which is your source.

Then you type in for example "testimport"

It will be saved in C:SIMPOLbin

BUT it will not have an ".sbm" extension (which is why i could never find it.)

It will just be sitting there as:

C:SIMPOLbintestimport

So this is clearly a bug.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.