Skip to content

Detail Block – linking 3 tables

Forums Forums Superbase NG Personal Detail Block – linking 3 tables

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jaszczak
    Participant

I have a detail block on a form that I’d like to link three tables together in but Personal will not
    allow me to link them in series like Superbase Classic did. The first table (USAGE) Links to the master record on the form, the second table (MINERAL) links to the first table. I’d like to link the third table
    (SPECIES) to the second table, but the GUI will only allow a link to USAGE, not to MINERAL.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Michael
    Keymaster

That is because the link objects only support 1:1 linkages on the form, and only links from the master table to other tables. You can have a detail block that links to the master table, and then within the detail block have further 1;1 links between the detail block master table and other table.

It might help if you describe what you are doing. The scenarios where you would need the sort of link you are trying to do are fairly rare, though we could look at how we support it in future if it were truly necessary.

jaszczak
    Participant

Indeed, I don’t try to do this very often, but I could do it in Superbase. Here is an example of the db link dialog from my own project in Superbase showing what I tried to
    do in the museum project in NG.

Not of highest priority at this point (as compared, for example to trying to unlinked detail blocks), but this link structure I can see would be handy in some graphical reports. I have not tried to build such serial links in graphical reports yet. Dare I try?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Michael
    Keymaster

I have been working on this. It looks like it was originally intended to be added but appears to have gotten lost with all the other things that needed doing. I have succeeded in adding it to the Form Designer and am currently tracking down one last problem. I will let you know when I have something to test.

I am on holiday until the 1st of August, however, so it will be a while before I report back.

jaszczak
    Participant

With the new versions I have been able to successfully form a chain of links under the Detail Block LINKS tab. Unfortunately, the data from the last link in the chain (3rd of three) doesn’t show up in the detail block when save and then open the form. I can send the sample form.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.