Skip to content

IDE “add module”

Forums Forums SIMPOL Programming IDE “add module”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jim Locker

As I work on this project of mine, I want to break up the source code into a lot of different files and some libraries, and only compile what needs to be compiled. If I don’t do this, it is going to take a LOOONGGG time to recompile whenever I make a change. However, the “add module” selection for a project does not seem to work. Presently, I have a main code module that does some initialization and displays a form. Right now I am focusing on being able to display all my forms – and except for the opening form, every form is invoked from the opening form by clicking on a command button, and each form starts in its own thread. What I want to do is have each form stored as a separate source code file, be separately compiled, then be linked in so as to build a running executable, exactly as would happen with C or C++, or pretty much any other compiled language. It would appear that if I construct my form files as source files and place them in the subdirectory that has the main program, I must include these files in the main program or they are not found. Of course, when I include them, I then require the entire project to be rebuilt whenever a change is made. So, I tried adding a module using the IDE so that I could place these files in separate subdirectories and have them compiled as libraries which I then would link in. Didn’t work, at all. If I create the subdirectory then place my desired file in it, and click on the “add module” choice, I then must type in the name of the subdirectory in the text box because I cannot select it; it just doesn’t select. So I do that. The IDE sometimes will display the new project (but without the submember of the tree that shows the file that is in the subdirectory even though that file has the same name) and sometimes will fail to close the requester or do anything else, requiring me to cancel the requester. If I choose “add module” then type in the name of a directory that does not exist, so that the IDE will (per the documentation) create that directory and a main program file of the same name, nothing happens. Requester doesn’t close. No new module is created. How do I do what I want to do? Also, I absolutely HATE IDEs. They drive me clear around the bend, forcing me to do things totally their way. Is there any way to do the development from the command line with Makefiles, the way god intended development to be done? I recognize the crippled environment that the Windows command line provides, but the only way I run Windows is as a virtual machine in my Linux system, so I can do all my command line editing etc using bash in linux then just go to Windows to compile.

Michael
    Keymaster

Jim wrote:
    > As I work on this project of mine, I want to break up the source code
    > into a lot of different files and some libraries, and only compile
    > what needs to be compiled. If I don't do this, it is going to take a
    > LOOONGGG time to recompile whenever I make a change.
    >
    > However, the "add module" selection for a project does not seem to
    > work.

I will have a look. That functionality was added long ago, and I have to
    admit it never appealed to me. I tend to compile these sorts of things
    as separate libraries/projects. That you can do. Just make sure you
    export the function that returns the form, and give it a unique name.

Then add the library to the project.

Ciao, Neil

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.