Skip to content

what needed and where to put it

Forums Forums SIMPOL Programming what needed and where to put it

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JD Kromkowski
    Participant

So I’ve worked through the kinks and have a very basic payroll program based on sbair. I’m using a sbme not a ppcs. As a proof of concept, I’d like to put the program on an assistants machine, so that she can input her hours. I don’t what to put the full IDE on her machine (nor do I want her to use personal) So, what is the minimum I need to put on her machine and where do I put things. I’ll start by making this dir C:Program FilesSIMPOL Because of the way, I’ve set up things I know that I’ll need these dirs C:Program FilesSIMPOLData (where I’ll put the sbm files) C:Program FilesSIMPOLForms (where I’ll put the sxf files)

Michael
    Keymaster

On 12/04/2012 23:51, JDK wrote:
    > So I've worked through the kinks and have a very basic payroll program based on sbair.
    >
    > I'm using a sbme not a ppcs. As a proof of concept, I'd like to put the program on an assistants machine, so that she can
    > input her hours.
    >
    > I don't what to put the full IDE on her machine (nor do I want her to use personal) So, what is the minimum I need to put on
    > her machine and where do I put things.

Basically, you should not put anything in Program Files. As of Vista, application development is a PITA. Anything you put under
    Program Files is protected. Instead, place it somewhere else. Our commercial product creates a directory under C:USERSPublic (on
    Vista and Windows 7) or in C:Documents and SettingsAll Users on XP. The data files are put there.

As for what, it depends largely on which components your application uses. In the case of a typical appframework package, you will
    need the following files on Win32:

iconv.dll
    libxml2.dll
    libxslt.dll
    sbsort32.dll
    smlxml32.dll
    smpol32.dll
    smppcs32.dll
    smsbme32.dll
    smslib32.dll
    smsock32.dll
    smutos32.dll
    smwxwn32.dll
    wxbase28u_vc_simpol.dll
    wxmsw28u_adv_vc_simpol.dll
    wxmsw28u_core_vc_simpol.dll
    zlib1.dll
    smpwin32.exe

Ciao, Neil

JD Kromkowski
    Participant

Neil Robinson wrote:
    > Basically, you should not put anything in Program Files. As of Vista,
    > application development is a PITA. Anything you put under
    > Program Files is protected. Instead, place it somewhere else.
    > Our commercial product creates a directory under C:USERSPublic (on
    > Vista and Windows 7) or in C:Documents and SettingsAll Users on XP.
    > The data files are put there.

JDK: My office is still using XP, but I guess I should plan ahead.
    "PITA" is the technical term, eh? 🙂

If I compile my prog. on my machine with the data and forms in the dirs,
    I'm currently using: how does the .smp program I "install" on a machine
    know where to look for the forms and data? Do I have to compile in the
    IDE with the stuff all in the same places that they will be when
    installed? Do I have to create the forms that way too?

Not quite understanding the whole process. Is there a help chapter on this
    for dummies like me?

> As for what, it depends largely on which components your application uses.
    > In the case of a typical appframework package, you will
    > need the following files on Win32:

> iconv.dll
    > libxml2.dll
    > libxslt.dll
    > sbsort32.dll
    > smlxml32.dll
    > smpol32.dll
    > smppcs32.dll
    > smsbme32.dll
    > smslib32.dll
    > smsock32.dll
    > smutos32.dll
    > smwxwn32.dll
    > wxbase28u_vc_simpol.dll
    > wxmsw28u_adv_vc_simpol.dll
    > wxmsw28u_core_vc_simpol.dll
    > zlib1.dll
    > smpwin32.exe

So I put the above in

C:USERSPublicmySIMPOLprog

And do I have to create registry keys? For example, so that an .smp will
    be associated with smpwin32.exe?

Icon association?

Thanks for your assistance.

JDK

Michael
    Keymaster

On 13/04/2012 14:48, JDK wrote:
    > Neil Robinson wrote:
    >> Basically, you should not put anything in Program Files. As of Vista, application development is a PITA. Anything you put
    >> under Program Files is protected. Instead, place it somewhere else. Our commercial product creates a directory under
    >> C:USERSPublic (on Vista and Windows 7) or in C:Documents and SettingsAll Users on XP. The data files are put there.
    >
    > JDK: My office is still using XP, but I guess I should plan ahead. "PITA" is the technical term, eh? 🙂

Yup :).

> If I compile my prog. on my machine with the data and forms in the dirs, I'm currently using: how does the .smp program I
    > "install" on a machine know where to look for the forms and data? Do I have to compile in the IDE with the stuff all in the
    > same places that they will be when installed? Do I have to create the forms that way too?

No, you just copy your smp from the bin directory of your project, together with the runtime components and your forms and images
    to the installation directory. The data goes into an appropriate directory like I described above.

> Not quite understanding the whole process. Is there a help chapter on this for dummies like me?

No, not currently. I will look into publishing some code that I use for our stuff.

>> As for what, it depends largely on which components your application uses. In the case of a typical appframework package, you
    >> will need the following files on Win32:
    >
    >> iconv.dll libxml2.dll libxslt.dll sbsort32.dll smlxml32.dll smpol32.dll smppcs32.dll smsbme32.dll smslib32.dll smsock32.dll
    >> smutos32.dll smwxwn32.dll wxbase28u_vc_simpol.dll wxmsw28u_adv_vc_simpol.dll wxmsw28u_core_vc_simpol.dll zlib1.dll
    >> smpwin32.exe
    >
    > So I put the above in
    >
    > C:USERSPublicmySIMPOLprog

Not necessarily. Your data files need to go under Public, but your program and images/forms can safely be installed under Program
    Files.

> And do I have to create registry keys? For example, so that an .smp will be associated with smpwin32.exe?

No registry keys. Your installer should create a shortcut using smpwin32.exe and passing the *.smp as an argument to it. The start
    directory should be where the *.smp is (in my case that is the same directory as the exe and dlls).

> Icon association?

Ship a *.ico file (and include a bmp or png of the same for your window icon).

Ciao, Neil

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.